What can Dr Bernie help you with?
- Dr Bernie offers a wide range of plastic surgery operations and specialises in plastic surgery involving the breast, body and reconstruction.
- Dr Bernie can help with a wide range of breast operations including breast reduction, breast lift and breast implant operations. [Read More]
- Dr Bernie can also help with a wide range of body operations including tummy tuck, excess fat reduction and liposuction. [Read More]
- Reconstructive plastic surgery is a particular interest of Dr Bernie, where Dr Bernie predominantly assists patients by reconstructing the breast, upper and lower limbs or the head and neck region following cancer or trauma. [Read More]
- For advice on what procedures may be right for you and what Dr Bernie can assist you with, please schedule an appointment by contacting Dr Bernie’s rooms [Contact Us].
What are Dr Bernie's qualifications?
- Specialist Plastic Surgeon (AHPRA specialist registration)
- Fellow of the Royal Australasian College of Surgeons (RACS)
- Member of Australian Society of Plastic Surgeons (ASPS)
- Member of Australasian Society of Aesthetic Plastic Surgeons (ASAPS)
- Bachelor of Medicine and Bachelor of Surgery (with Honours) – University of Western Australia
What is the cost of plastic surgery?
- Plastic Surgery is a broad field where each operation may have its own set of complexities with differing fees associated. There is not a one size fits all fee.
- There are four costs to consider when having an operation
- Surgical Fee – the cost of the surgeon
- Anaesthetic Fee – the cost of the anaesthetist
- Hospital Fee – the cost of attending and staying at the hospital
- Miscellaneous Fees – the cost of investigations, test, implants, garments and other items required for the operation
- Dr Bernie is happy to meet with you, advise on the right procedure for you and provide you with a personalised quote for your consideration.
- Dr Bernie follows the Australian Medical Association (AMA) fee structure for most operations. Medicare and your private health insurance may partially cover the cost of surgery. The remainder of the cost is referred to as ‘the gap’ and is an out-of-pocket cost.
- As a general rule, reconstructive procedures will attract a Medicare Rebate. Cosmetic procedures, however, will generally not have an associated Medicare Rebate. Dr Bernie recommends checking with your insurance provider as to what is covered.
- If you have private health insurance, the hospital component of reconstructive procedures will generally be covered.
- If you have private health insurance, the hospital component of cosmetic procedures will generally not be covered.
- Insurers may also cover part of the surgical fee for reconstructive procedures.
- If you do not have private health insurance, the hospital component will be payable by you to the hospital upon discharge.
- Dr Bernie thus strongly recommends private health insurance for all operations. Please check with your private health insurer to determine your level of cover provided.
The Initial Consultation
- The initial consultation will take between 30 and 60 minutes and involve a discussion with Dr Bernie relating to your presenting issue or concern, a detailed medical history, an examination, and a discussion of treatment options.
- An initial consultation with Dr Bernie can be organised by contacting Dr Bernie’s rooms and will be in South Perth at 8 Lyall Street (link to map).
- The initial consultation will be charged at $360. This fee is payable on the day of your appointment.
- A referral from a GP or Specialist may entitle you to a partial Medicare rebate of $76.10.
- After the initial appointment, further investigations may be required (blood test, scans or other tests) to help determine the best treatment options for you.
- It is very useful to bring any medical records, previous investigations, a referral (if present), a Medicare card and insurance card or details (if applicable).
- Following your initial consultation, a quote will be provided to you. If you are happy with the quote, a subsequent consultation will be arranged. This consultation will be charged at $180, for which you may be entitled to a Medicare Rebate of $38.25 if you have a current referral.
- At this consultation Dr Bernie will further discuss the procedure in more detail, answer any questions you may have, discuss the quote and fill out any required paperwork. Dr Bernie will also take digital photographs for your medical record.
- Dr Bernie encourages you to bring a list of questions to the consultation to help you recall any queries you may have and to get answers to all your queries.
- A relative, friend or support person can be especially useful in helping you through the consultation and surgical journey – they are welcome to attend with you.
- Surgery is an important decision and Dr Bernie is here to assist and provide you with all the necessary information so that you can make an informed decision prior to proceeding.
- Dr Bernie will assess your concerns and will advise which operation is best suited to your needs and your goals.
- Dr Bernie will perform all operations.
- Certain reconstructive or larger cosmetic operation may require two surgeons to minimise operative timing and optimise the outcome. In these cases, Dr Bernie will advise you and Dr Bernie will select another fully qualified Specialist Plastic Surgeon (as specified by AHPRA and the Royal Australasian College of Surgeons) to operate with jointly to achieve your desired outcome.
- Dr Bernie operates at multiple hospitals across Perth – the type of operation required will determine which hospital is best suited for you.
Any other considerations?
- Dr Bernie is a Specialist Plastic Surgeon
- Any doctor can call themselves a cosmetic surgeon regardless of training and skill. Many cosmetic surgeons in Australia have no formal plastic surgery training.
- A qualified specialist plastic surgeon is a Fellow of the Royal Australian College of Surgeons. Their title will be FRACS (PLAS) and signifies that they have an additional eight to ten years of specialised training after having completed medical school. [Official ASAPS definition]
- Selecting a qualified plastic surgeon is vital when deciding to have plastic surgery. Dr Bernie recommends checking the qualifications of your surgeon and having plastic surgery performed by a specialised plastic surgeon [APHRA Register Search]
- Every individual is different, with a unique body, unique concerns and different options
- Generic quotes do not apply to everyone
- Book an appointment today to see what options are best for you [Contact Us]
- Dr Bernie strongly recommends cessation of smoking for a period of six weeks either side of surgery – wherever possible surgery should be postponed until smoking has been completely stopped.
Want to find out more?
- If you have any more questions, reach out to our team. [Contact Us]